• This week is SENIOR SPIRIT WEEK!
  • Come out and support our spring athletes at home competitions!
  • Attendance matters: as the weather improves, keep coming to school so that you don't fall behind.
  • Prom is this Saturday May 4th!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Senior spirit week
Senior spirit week
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

This week, our seniors embarked on a series of special activities, each day bringing them closer to their farewell. These activities, organized...

Zoe Schultz, Cece Barrett, and Riley Adams having a good time in the dugout.
Swing for greatness: Concord softball sweeps Maple Valley
Connor Stevens, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024

On Monday, April 29th, the Lady Jackets softball team hosted Maple Valley for a doubleheader of softball action. The Jackets not only had two...

Varsity Team Photo
Play ball! Concord's baseball boys are back at it again
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

Last Thursday, the varsity baseball team hosted a doubleheader against Summerfield High School. The boys worked extremely hard and won the first...

New directions for CHS band

The Concord High School Band has made many changes since the school year started.  Under the direction of their new band director, Mrs. Johnson, students are excited about the improvement in the band room. 

Joining band in high school is a fantastic choice. It’s a chance to learn to play an instrument, improve musical skills, and be part of a tight-knit group. The band gets to perform at football games, cheer on the team, perform in the pep band, which cheers on the basketball team, have concerts, field trips, and so much more.

Making changes in band class is crucial for better performance. By constantly striving to improve, band students enhance their musical skills, coordination, and overall sound as a band. Whether refining techniques, practicing challenging sections, or experimenting with different musical styles, embracing change helps students reach new heights. It’s about pushing boundaries, growing together, and delivering outstanding performances that leave a lasting impression.

Emily Smith shares the new techniques and changes made in class. She says, “A lot of us went back to the basics, not just for the people new to the band, but for people who wanted to get back to the swing of things. The band director spent as much time as we needed to get back to the basics.” Smith mentions how the band director is more in tune with the band students and how it helps the band progress further. She was more direct in what she wanted her students to do.

Jayden Carpenter shares his thoughts on how the band class started and how it’s going. He says, “I feel like the transition felt a little sketchy because no one knew the band director when she first came, but about one week later, we all got used to her very quickly. I don’t think anyone took the transition very hard. As a group, we’re pretty strong still.”

He thinks the changes have benefited the band. He says, “Overall, I think we are a little more efficient this year because I feel like everyone in the band wanted to impress the new director. I think every change that has been done has been for the better.” The band is working their way around sounding better despite their small team. 

Paige Morris shares how important it is to have more students join and be part of the band. She says, “I really like our band, and everyone that’s in it is super dedicated, but I do wish we had a bigger band because there’s only so much we can do with a small band. More people should join.” She adds how she would like for students to consider at least joining. “Every instrument is different, and there is a place for everyone. We are willing to work with any skills you may have.”

The band has just started but has many plans ahead. They plan on having a Christmas concert, spring concert, pep band, jazz, etc. There are yet to be exact dates for these events, but the band hopes people will show up and support their performances.