• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

New directions for CHS band

The Concord High School Band has made many changes since the school year started.  Under the direction of their new band director, Mrs. Johnson, students are excited about the improvement in the band room. 

Joining band in high school is a fantastic choice. It’s a chance to learn to play an instrument, improve musical skills, and be part of a tight-knit group. The band gets to perform at football games, cheer on the team, perform in the pep band, which cheers on the basketball team, have concerts, field trips, and so much more.

Making changes in band class is crucial for better performance. By constantly striving to improve, band students enhance their musical skills, coordination, and overall sound as a band. Whether refining techniques, practicing challenging sections, or experimenting with different musical styles, embracing change helps students reach new heights. It’s about pushing boundaries, growing together, and delivering outstanding performances that leave a lasting impression.

Emily Smith shares the new techniques and changes made in class. She says, “A lot of us went back to the basics, not just for the people new to the band, but for people who wanted to get back to the swing of things. The band director spent as much time as we needed to get back to the basics.” Smith mentions how the band director is more in tune with the band students and how it helps the band progress further. She was more direct in what she wanted her students to do.

Jayden Carpenter shares his thoughts on how the band class started and how it’s going. He says, “I feel like the transition felt a little sketchy because no one knew the band director when she first came, but about one week later, we all got used to her very quickly. I don’t think anyone took the transition very hard. As a group, we’re pretty strong still.”

He thinks the changes have benefited the band. He says, “Overall, I think we are a little more efficient this year because I feel like everyone in the band wanted to impress the new director. I think every change that has been done has been for the better.” The band is working their way around sounding better despite their small team. 

Paige Morris shares how important it is to have more students join and be part of the band. She says, “I really like our band, and everyone that’s in it is super dedicated, but I do wish we had a bigger band because there’s only so much we can do with a small band. More people should join.” She adds how she would like for students to consider at least joining. “Every instrument is different, and there is a place for everyone. We are willing to work with any skills you may have.”

The band has just started but has many plans ahead. They plan on having a Christmas concert, spring concert, pep band, jazz, etc. There are yet to be exact dates for these events, but the band hopes people will show up and support their performances.