• Quarter four has officially begun, don't get behind at the start.
  • TESTING WEEK! Keep a positive attitude and try your best! You've got this!
  • Today is Eclipse Day! Protect your eyes with eclipse glasses.
  • Good luck to all our track athletes today!
  • Boys JV baseball plays Bronson on Monday.
  • Varsity Baseball and Softball will play at home on Tuesday vs. Bronson. Golf will be at the Quincy Jamboree, and then in Hillsdale on Wednesday.
  • Thursday baseball and softball take on Columbia Central at home.
  • Saturday will be a round robin tourney at CHS for both baseball and softball!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Gwendolyn Bulko taking her mock interview
Senior Mock Interviews
Riley Aiken, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

The seniors are on the verge of graduating and challenging decisions about their future are approaching quickly. The seniors were given mock...

3rd Hour Class Clean up.
Mrs. Fiero's Environmental Cleanup
Rylee Sinden, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

Earth Day was on Monday, April 22nd. To celebrate, Mrs. Fiero took her third and fourth-hour Environmental Science classes to pick up trash in...

DeTori doing an example with Vincent Simpson and Aryonna Kehle.
A successful career day!
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

On Friday, April 19th, students at CHS had the opportunity to meet with guest speakers who discussed the different types of jobs they have. This...

Snowcoming Spectacular: Concord vs Bronson

Mekhi+Windfeild++shooting+a+lay-up+
Lucy Otto
Mekhi Windfeild shooting a lay-up

The heat was on and our CHS players responded, making baskets, maintaining an airtight defense and  an aggressive offense. Concord’s players played with high spirits and were ready for whatever might happen. 

Junior Varsity started with energy. The boys were playing great defense and were sinking shots. By the time it was half-time, the score was 28 points for Concord and 24 points for Bronson. Going into the 3rd quarter, Bronson picked up the heat, but Concord was not going to give up. Both neck and neck till the 4th quarter, Bronson beat Concord, 49 to 53. Although they did not win, JV gave it their all.  Freshman Jeffery Thomas III shares, “We were all on the same wavelength in the 1st and 2nd quarter but we kinda got a little rocky when we got to 3rd and 4th quarter. Other than that, since we had the lock-in at the end of the game we had great chemistry throughout the game.”

Jeff dribbling to the basket. (Lucy Otto)

Thomas also talks about how they have changed over time as a team. He explains, ” We wouldn’t pick up the ball, not pass it, or anything like that. We were not on the same wavelength. I think now we are all on the same wavelength after going through the season together.”

Reese Brewer shares some insight on some challenges that they faced and how they overcame that problem.  He shares, “I felt like us working together and talking helped us face some of our challenges on the court tonight.” 

Reese getting ready to shoot his free throw.  Lucy Otto

Concord Varsity came into the 1st quarter strong and left the 4th quarter even stronger. In the 1st and 2nd quarters, Concord and Bronson were neck and neck, both playing their hardest.  The score was 25 Concord and 24 Bronson. In the 3rd quarter, Concord picked up speed. Neither team gave up the good fight, but Concord came through in the end with the final score Concord 69 and Bronson 49.  Mekhi Wingfield scored 29 points, Connor Stevens scored 16 points, and Jett Smith scored 12 points. The Varsity boys’ season has been outstanding. Varsity has won 11 games and has only lost 4 games. On top of that, they are number one in the Big 8. Their score in the Big 8 is 9-0.  Freshman Darell Dean shares how he views the team. He explains, “They are like a second family to me.”

Darell going up to defense. (Lucy Otto)

Antwon Hicks shares what he thought was the key to the team’s success,  “All being locked in mentally and physically. Before the game, we all huddled up before Coach Gill got there and talked about it. ”

Hicks about to shoot his free throw. (Concord Chronicle )

Jett Smith shares how he felt the team did, “We did great tonight. Pretty much kept on going for the Big 8 champion.” He continues, “We all did well.”

Jett shooting a free throw in the 3rd quarter. (Lucy Otto)

Congratulations to the junior varsity and the varsity teams. There are only a few games left in the season, so if you have the chance come and support the Concord basketball team.

View Comments (1)