• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

From Brazil to a small town

Bernardo Boniati is this year’s foreign exchange student
Julia Stevens

There are many times in life when we must learn new skills and step outside of our comfort zones. Students from different countries have the opportunity to step out of their comfort zones in the United States through the foreign exchange student program. 

This year’s foreign exchange student Bernardo Boniati is all the way from Chapecó, state of Santa Catarina in the south of Brazil. He has been attending here for a full quarter already. Upon being asked what sets apart schooling in Brazil from here at CHS, he said, “I only got to choose one of my classes, and I had 16 in total. I didn’t have the same schedule every day, and most of the classes are the same all three years of high school.” When asked which instructor had been his favorite thus far he responded, “I really like all of my teachers, but I would say Mrs. Colangelo because she just guides us through class, giving us a lot of freedom, and letting us use our creativity.” 

When asked how it has been to get the chance to instruct Boniati, Mrs. Colangelo replied, “It’s been terrific! It’s so cool to experience him with his different background, bringing it into what he’s learned already.” 

Boniati has also blended in rather well, making lots of friends, One of his friends includes Taylor Cole, when asked how it has been getting to know Boniati she says, “Getting to know Bernardo has been like seeing my best friend that I haven’t seen in years. He’s so kind and generous and always finds a way to make me laugh. I look forward to getting to know him more.”

He also is enjoying making new memories,” There is always something new to do with my host family, friends, or I just like to walk close to my house since,” he responds when asked what he does in his spare time.

Living with a host family is another perk of being a foreign exchange student. While this can be an extremely nerve-wracking experience, Boniati said, “For me, it really isn’t.  I have a great relationship with my host family; I’m very comfortable with them, and I just love them,” He also still keeps in touch with his family back home on a regular basis saying, “I keep in contact with them and we usually video call once a week.” 

Boniati also explains how the United States has been and how it compared to what he had expected: “I love everything about here. I knew that it would be a great experience, but I didn’t know I was going to feel like life was an American movie.” 

When asked what most excited him about traveling to America, Boniati replied, “I was really excited about living lots of new experiences and getting to know another culture.” 

Thus, the Foreign Exchange Student Program can be ideal for students seeking the chance to visit a foreign nation and immerse themselves in its culture.