• This week is SENIOR SPIRIT WEEK!
  • Come out and support our spring athletes at home competitions!
  • Attendance matters: as the weather improves, keep coming to school so that you don't fall behind.
  • Prom is this Saturday May 4th!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Varsity Team Photo
Play ball! Concord's baseball boys are back at it again
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

Last Thursday, the varsity baseball team hosted a doubleheader against Summerfield High School. The boys worked extremely hard and won the first...

A Spectacular Art Show
A Spectacular Art Show
Lucy Otto, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

This year's art show went spectacular. There were many different mediums and styles at the show. The art show was located in Jackson Crossing...

Gwendolyn Bulko taking her mock interview
Senior Mock Interviews
Riley Aiken, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

The seniors are on the verge of graduating and challenging decisions about their future are approaching quickly. The seniors were given mock...

It’s officially track season

Concord hosts their first track scrimmage of the season
Savanna Payne
Concords boys’ and girls’ track team warming up before the meet

It’s officially track season! The season started off with a scrimmage on Monday at home. Concord High School’s track team faced Springport and Jackson Prep in a non-league tri-meet. Epic returning coaches continue to inspire our track athletes and help bring home wins for the boys’ and girls’ teams: Mike Jurasek is the head coach for the boys’ team, and David Jordon is the girls’ head coach. Dan Davis is also the returning assistant coach for both of these teams.

Nevaeh Martin and Rihanna Turner waiting for their next race

Neveah Martin is a freshman at Concord, and this was her first track meet! At the meet, Martin participated in the long jump and ran the 100—and 200-meter dashes. When asked how she felt before the track meet, she explained, “I was a little nervous because I’ve never run track before.” Martin continued, “But overall, it’s been really fun!”

Maddox Hutchinson running in his final race of the day (Savanna Payne)

Sophomore Maddox Hutchinson is a long-distance runner for the boys team. At the meet, Hutchinson placed 3rd in the 1 mile and 1st in the 800-meter dash. Hutchinson explained that he was very confident going into the mile but, unfortunately, did not place as high as he had wanted.

Despite this, he plans to improve his time throughout the rest of the season. Next up was the 800-meter dash. When asked about his feelings after the race, he explained, “I was pretty happy! I was not expecting to do that well after dying on the mile.”

Marissa Mandrelle and Gabby Herzberg running in the 100-meter hurdles
(Savanna Payne)

Sophomore Marissa Mandrelle also ran in the meet and did a fantastic job! Mandrelle participated in the long jump and ended up placing 1st. She also ran in the 100-meter hurdles and the 300-meter hurdles and ended up placing 1st in the 100-meter hurdles. When asked how she felt about the 100-meter hurdle race, she said, “I was extremely nervous before, but after, I was really proud of myself and felt like I had the next race.”

Ashton Easterwood running the 110-meter hurdles (Savanna Payne)

Senior Ashton Easterwood is a returning hurdler for the boys’ team. Easterwoods preferred races are the 110-meter hurdles and the 300-meter hurdles. Easterwood explains, “I took it lighter for my 110-meter hurdle race because I’ve been out with an injury.” Easterwood continues explaining, “For the 300-meter hurdles, I ended up running an all-time PR (Personal Record) because I felt very comfortable while running.” The most important thing Easterwood wanted to focus on during this meet was to work towards building a foundation and getting comfortable with running in races again.

So, with that, congratulations to both teams and all who volunteered to run the event. This is just the beginning of an amazing Concord track season, and we can’t wait to see the amazing things our athletes will achieve as we move towards the end of the year! Concord’s next track meet will be on Wednesday, April 17th, at Maple Valley.