• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

Artist Spotlight: Mykala Drew

Mykala+Drew
Riley Aiken
Mykala Drew

With such a wide variety of talent here at Concord, it can be difficult to decide on a singular person to recognize for their artistic ability. After some thinking, Mr. Couling decided on Mykala Drew for this artist spotlight. Drew is an amazing artist as well as a positive influence to upcoming art students. Their work is unique and the time they put into it is vast. Drew is in their senior year and has had plenty of experience throughout the time they’ve spent here.

Along with the time they’ve spent drawing in school, Drew has been drawing for a large part of their life outside of school. They define their emotions on creating and the influence drawing has had on them: “I feel like drawing and painting has helped me see life in a more beautiful way, and that everything is artistic in its own way.”

Having spent a lot of their life around art, it’s only reasonable they spend hours on their art. Drew explains, “On one piece I like to put in at least two or three hours minimum.” The work isn’t just naturally impressive. Drew also ensures a well made piece with dedication. 

Since Drew spends so much time creating and working on art it seems they’d get burnout, but they clarify how they’ll continue their pursuit with art: “ I’ll definitely always go back to art as a hobby, it helps me stay grounded and feel myself.” Even though there may be times where they’ll slow down on drawing, they’ll always find their way back to it.

Mr. Couling, the art teacher at CHS, has seen first hand Drew’s growth as an artist. Even from their freshman year they’ve created interesting and beautiful pieces, “[t]hey consistently do excellent work.” Mr. Couling continues, “ [A]round 90% of their art has been submitted in the art show.” He explains the persistent and passionate nature of Drew and how it’s helped them get their art in the submissions.

Not only is their art stunning to view, it’s inspiring. Mr. Couling explains the impact their art has made on others in the school. He shares, “[N]ow that we’re able to put their work in the halls on display the other students can see their work, encouraging them to learn more and work harder.”

With all the time Drew has spent working with art, it’s obvious that they know what their doing. They have their style and always draw things that interest them, but understanding these points can be difficult for someone coming up in art. Drew has advice for people that are just starting out with art, “[T]he biggest thing is to not compare your art to other art, not everyone will be the same level and no art is bad, also, using references isn’t bad at all.”