• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

Halloween (Tuesday) Fun Friday!

Jenell Alvarez
Mrs. Reed’s class plays Stacking Chips.

Concord High School celebrated Halloween and the end of the month on Tuesday with various activities. The whole school had fun participating in options scattered throughout the building.

Iyla Weeks and Danielle Fritz won the costume contest NHS held. Austin Bradly placed second dressed as a karate kid, while Weeks and Fritz dressed as matching race car drivers from the movie Talladega Nights.

The most popular activity was the Co-Ed Volleyball tournament sponsored by the Junior Class/Iyla Weeks, a fundraiser for the Junior class. Students signed up to play in the game, which they had to pay to participate in. Those who didn’t pay but still wanted to be part of the game were allowed to be spectators and sit on the bleachers and watch. The team names were Buttercups, Ball Beaters, YellowJackets, and The Dowgs. 

The team winners of the game were the Ball Beaters. Teammates included Carter Arbuckle, Danielle Fritz, Iyla Weeks, Dustin Hamilton, Levi Raymond, and Andrew Uncapher. 

Raymond mentioned how he feels about the tournament. He explained, “I feel like we’re winning this with no problem. I’m very confident we got Iyla Weeks, and we got Dustin. We bond as a team together.”

The opposing team was the Buttercups, and when asked if they would win, Gabriella Herzberg said, “Oh yeah, we are winning. We haven’t played yet, but I think we will win because my team is always on the net, always.” 

Savannah Smith mentioned what she did for Ms. Mattson’s activity. She says, “We’re doing a Halloween Scavenger Hunt around the neighborhood. I’m partnered with a few of my friends, and we are just making routes and getting ready to start.

A few teachers played movies for students who preferred to sit and watch movies rather than move around; one example was Ms. Fields, with only three students in her class. Other teachers had board games and different activities, like Smash Bros, card games, etc.

Students enjoyed the special day. When asked what they thought about the event, Emily Smith mentioned how important it was to have a break from work. She says, “I think it was beneficial for the students stressing about school work. I see this day as a relief from burnout and help students take a step back and have fun. Plus, breaks can allow you to pursue other interests and engage in activities that bring you joy. Remember, balance is key!”