Senior Spotlight: Jamiya Rogers

Madisyn Barrett, Staff Writer

“Though she be but little, she is fierce.” –Shakespeare

The bard was not writing about Jamiya Rogers, but Jamiya Rogers embodies that same fierce intensity and energy each time she steps on the court. This week, our senior spotlight shines on Jamiya Rogers. “I can’t believe I’m a senior. It feels like yesterday I was in kindergarten taking a nap,” she shares. This busy senior is constantly involved and hardly napping.

Jamiya enjoys many different activities, but her favorites include hanging out with family and friends as well as playing basketball. Whether she is running on the track or working in the classroom, Jamiya brings her positive nature and strong work ethic everywhere. Mr.Buck mentions that “Jamiya is a pleasure to have in the classroom. She has a great sense of humor and is great at communicating.” He also mentions that his favorite memory with her is when “Jamiya and I took one of her senior basketball pictures together.“

Coach Buck isn’t the only fan of our senior. Doc Rando also plays a significant role as Jamiya’s basketball coach. He says, “Jamiya is the epitome of a big sister on and off the court.” Her love of the game fuels her dream to become a big basketball star, but if that doesn’t work out, she would like to become a veterinarian. Once Jamiya gets out of high school, she plans on going to Jackson College for two years to get her prereqs then transfer to MSU to become a vet.

Maddy Connelly has known Jamiya since 5th grade, and they have become best friends, she exclaims “My favorite thing about Jamiya is her heart. She has such a big heart and is always there for everyone whenever they need it. She gives out the best advice, and when you just need someone to talk to, she listens. She is definitely someone I don’t want to lose.” Connelly also mentions that “some of my favorite memories are playing basketball together, and my favorite is having jam sessions in the car after our basketball games. We just scream and laugh, and it makes my heart so happy. Something that makes Jamiya stand out… is her personality. She has such an outgoing personality that fits in everywhere, she makes everyone laugh, and she is just overall a really great HUMAN! Everyone needs a Jamiya!!”