• This week is SENIOR SPIRIT WEEK!
  • Come out and support our spring athletes at home competitions!
  • Attendance matters: as the weather improves, keep coming to school so that you don't fall behind.
  • Prom is this Saturday May 4th!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Discrimination in Schools

Discrimination should never be allowed.  It causes us to treat others unfairly based on factors like race, gender, sexual orientation, culture, or religion. It goes against the principles of equality and respect for all individuals. Discrimination can lead to social division, inequality, and the denial of basic rights and opportunities. Embracing diversity and treating everyone with kindness and fairness should be the norm in our community. When we tolerate any form of discrimination, it hurts all of us. 

Discrimination is often conveyed through online interactions rather than face to face. Online bullying with discrimination, whether it is physical bullying, cyberbullying, or ANY type of bullying, can have serious negative effects on the victims. It can lead to emotional distress, anxiety, depression, and even thoughts of self-harm. Cyberbullying can also damage a person’s self-esteem and social relationships. Creating toxic online environments can make individuals feel unsafe and targeted. 

It is highly important to stand against online bullying and promote kindness and respect online. Unfortunately, many have yet to learn these lessons. If students bully others, they might get in trouble or even be kicked out. They could also have to pay fines or go to jail, depending on what they did. And if the school doesn’t do enough to stop bullying, they could get in trouble, too. According to Cyberbullying Research Center, if someone cyber bullies another person, they could get in trouble with a maximum fine of $500 or up to 93 days in jail. It’s considered a misdemeanor and could lead to a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment for up to 1 year.

We all have a responsibility to educate ourselves and the people around us to avoid dramatic events that break down the trust we should have as members of the same community. Raise awareness, encourage open communication, and, above all else, speak up when someone else is being discriminated against. 

However, we also need to take a good look in the mirror. Discrimination happens in our midst more than we realize. When we judge others for being different or make snarky comments based on opinionated assumptions, we are discriminating. So let’s support those who are targets, but let’s also check our own behaviors and just simply do BETTER.