• Quarter four has officially begun, don't get behind at the start.
  • TESTING WEEK! Keep a positive attitude and try your best! You've got this!
  • Today is Eclipse Day! Protect your eyes with eclipse glasses.
  • Good luck to all our track athletes today!
  • Boys JV baseball plays Bronson on Monday.
  • Varsity Baseball and Softball will play at home on Tuesday vs. Bronson. Golf will be at the Quincy Jamboree, and then in Hillsdale on Wednesday.
  • Thursday baseball and softball take on Columbia Central at home.
  • Saturday will be a round robin tourney at CHS for both baseball and softball!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Gwendolyn Bulko taking her mock interview
Senior Mock Interviews
Riley Aiken, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

The seniors are on the verge of graduating and challenging decisions about their future are approaching quickly. The seniors were given mock...

3rd Hour Class Clean up.
Mrs. Fiero's Environmental Cleanup
Rylee Sinden, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

Earth Day was on Monday, April 22nd. To celebrate, Mrs. Fiero took her third and fourth-hour Environmental Science classes to pick up trash in...

DeTori doing an example with Vincent Simpson and Aryonna Kehle.
A successful career day!
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

On Friday, April 19th, students at CHS had the opportunity to meet with guest speakers who discussed the different types of jobs they have. This...

Community spotlight: Tom Johnson

Long time community member honored
Johnson stands with Mr. Lehman, Coach Gill, his son Drew, and his grandson. Photo courtesy of Mr. Lehman

On December 22nd, Tom Johnson received the Genevieve E. Hartwig Volunteer Award. He has contributed to helping the basketball team for 35 years now and was honored for all of the hard work he has put into the community.

Johnson began being involved with the Concord basketball program in 1988 when his sons began participating in the program. He was the director of the 5th and 6th grade boys’ programs and coached the tournament travel team for six years. During the year 1995, Johnson began working as a scorekeeper at the high school. He has done it ever since, now spanning into the fourth decade. He has continued with this even after both his sons, Drew and Derek, graduated.

Johnson has also started to volunteer at Manchester High School on top of helping at Concord. His grandson currently plays there, and his son coaches there, creating a three-generational involvement in the Flying Dutchman’s program. On top of all of that, Johnson is also currently the scoreboard operator for the football program at Concord.

Johnson also currently works at Consumers Power. Yearly, he fills out the company’s volunteer program, which provides a grant to the school. We have used it to purchase a variety of equipment for all of the sports teams here at Concord.

The night he received the award was also the night the boys’ basketball team was playing Manchester, so Johnson was able to watch both of the teams he volunteers with play each other. Before the Varsity game, he was surprised by the award being presented to him.

Johnson was asked a few questions about his volunteering at Concord. He first shares that he initially started helping at Concord because of his kids, but as time has gone by, he has grown to love volunteering: “I enjoy doing it. I get to watch the athletes grow up and see them go through the program. I just enjoy basketball. This is also the best seat in the house. Johnson also explains why he is so honored to receive the award: “I was at the table with Genevieve Hartwig when she received the award. I am honored to have an awareness that is named after her.” Overall, Johnson is thankful just for the opportunity to take the book and wants to continue to do so. He is also grateful for all the support from the team and the community.

Besides this amazing award, Johnson also received an award earlier in the year. Johnson was inducted into the Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan Hall of Honor; he is the second recipient from Concord to receive his award. Our athletic director, Mr. Matt Lehman, nominated Johnson for his dedicated volunteer position in the press box and at the scorers’ table. He thanks Matt Lehman and Coach Marcus Gill for all of the support.

Ultimately, Johnson has been a huge contribution to the community and is one of the reasons the basketball games continue to run smoothly. We are very grateful for everything he has done, and if you see him, make sure to congratulate him on this amazing accomplishment.