• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

Community Spotlight: James Wash

James+Wash%2C+the+man+behind+the+scenes+here+at+CHS.+
Savanna Payne
James Wash, the man behind the scenes here at CHS.

Athletic events are an integral part of life here at school, but many of us don’t consider the efforts behind the scenes. With help from our fantastic community member, Mr. James Wash, these events are able to run smoothly and be enjoyable for everyone. That is why we are honored to shine our community spotlight on him.

Mr. Wash is originally from Mississippi but moved to Michigan when he was 8 years old: “I moved here in the mid ‘80s, and I graduated from Concord in 1993.” During his time here at Concord, Wash participated in three different sports and was also on Snowcoming court. After high school, he continued his education at Central Michigan University studying both anthropology and history, where he also earned a bachelor’s degree in science. Wash later explains that graduating college was one of his top accomplishments. Mr. Wash now lives in Concord with one of the most important people in his life, his mother. When asked what he enjoys doing in his free time he explains, “I’m a big time coffee drinker so I’m usually at the coffee shop.” 

Growing up Mr. Wash also participated in sports. He shares, “I played soccer and t-ball when I was in Mississippi, and my soccer team actually went to the state championships when I was a kid, so that was an experience. Once I got up here, I participated in football, baseball, and wrestled on and off.” Now that Mr. Wash is older, he continues to surround himself with Concord sports by helping with events.

Concord teacher and coach, Mike Jurasek, reflects on his first interaction with Mr. Wash: “I noticed James at all the track meets, and one day I asked him if he wanted to come help sometime. So he’d come and set stuff up just out of the goodness of his heart.” Jurasek then explains that the year after, our athletic director, Matt Lehman worked to have Mr. Wash be an administrator of all the home activities that go on at Concord. Jurasek further explains in detail what Mr. Wash does, “He shows the referees into the locker rooms and makes sure to get them refreshments during half time.” To add onto that, Mr. Wash is also there to greet teams when they arrive and show them to their locker rooms. 

Athletic Director Matt Lehman continues the conversation by explaining what makes Mr. Wash stand out above the rest: “James has a great reputation here at Concord. The officials like him, the teams that come in like him, and he takes time to know our kids by name along with other players from other teams…you just don’t find people like him anymore.” Lehman also adds, “Honestly, I couldn’t do my job without him. He’s that valuable, and he always knows what needs to be done. He’s my backup for everything. He can announce, run the clock, and take tickets; he can do everything!” Lehman includes one last thing, “He just has a really big heart, and honestly, he really bleeds purple and gold.”

Not only does our staff value all Mr. Wash does here at CHS, but the students also appreciate Mr. Wash and all he does. Sophomore Gavin Riske often talks to Mr. Wash after football games about how the game went. Riske describes James as, “a really nice guy” and also says, “I feel like he gives up a lot of his time for our community, so I would say he is very outgoing.” Riske also adds that his favorite thing about Mr. Wash is how much he cares for the students of Concord and puts in time to talk to them and ask how they are doing.

Senior Mekhi Wingfield describes Mr. Wash: “James is an outgoing guy that’s not scared to have a conversation.” Wingfield also reflects on his interactions with him, “James was one of the first people to talk to me at Concord at one of my middle school games, and every time I see him he says, ‘Mr. Wingfield, how we doing.’”

Senior TJ Allen is another student here at CHS who appreciates Mr. Wash and all that he does. Allen explains that before events, Wash is always super uplifting and in a good mood. This helps the players also be in a good mood before their games. Allen also says, “I enjoy how much he’s always there and always supports the community, regardless of the event or team.”

When asked what motivated James to be so involved around Concord he responded, “I’ve always learned that as long as you’re helping, you stay out of trouble.” Mr. Wash also explains that he enjoys being around the students of Concord because “it’s a pleasurable thing to see what I was like 30 some years ago.”

With that being said, thank you Mr. James Wash for everything you do for our community. We are so lucky to have you, and we hope that you continue to support our community.

View Comments (3)