• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

A successful season of girls’ cross country

The girls’ cross country team holding their regional trophy! Photo courtesty of Wes Stevens.

As the weather starts to cool down, the Concord girls’ cross-country team remains very hot with the major accomplishments they have achieved this season! The girls’ team has won many meets this year, including receiving a Big 8 championship trophy and a regional championship trophy. They are traveling to Michigan International Speedway and hope to succeed while they are there as well.

The girls’ team has come a long way from last year, from finishing second in the Big 8 conference and 2nd in regionals last year to winning their conference title and a regional title as well, which is a major improvement!

On Monday, the girls’ team traveled to Ella Sharp Park and competed against every team in Jackson County. While no teams are kept for scoring, it’s always fun to come out and race against everybody in the county. Earning all county honors were Haley Stimer, who finished 6th, and Cieara Barrett, who finished in 8th place. Earning honorable mention was senior Riley Adams. It was an overall great race for the girls’ cross-country team.

Freshman Haley Stimer is Concord’s lead runner. She has been all-conference, all-county, and regional champion this year. Stimer shares her personal goals for the upcoming state meet. She says, “I want to be top 20 and get all-state; I want my time to be around 20 minutes as well.”

Cieara Barrett, who earned all-state last year, is looking to repeat it this year. When asked about her goals for the upcoming state meet, Barrett replied: “ I want to be all-state, and run an all-time P.R. under 20.16.”

Senior Riley Adams is the girls’ team captain. She explains the team’s achievements for the season, “We have won the Big 8 conference and also regionals. We had a tie at the end, 44 to 44, and then Julia beat Kalamazoo Hackett’s 6th place runner and we ended up winning regionals.” Adams explains her personal achievements for the season, “I was 22nd in the county and also made all-conference, I finished 9th in the conference.” Adams was asked about the team’s expectations for the upcoming state meet. She says, “I expect us to do our best and not get last in the state meet, and we will definitely improve from last year.”

We wish the girls the best of luck for their upcoming state, at Michigan International Speedway on Saturday. The girls will race at 9:30 a.m. We would like to congratulate the girls for the fantastic season they have had this year!