• Quarter four has officially begun, don't get behind at the start.
  • TESTING WEEK! Keep a positive attitude and try your best! You've got this!
  • Today is Eclipse Day! Protect your eyes with eclipse glasses.
  • Good luck to all our track athletes today!
  • Boys JV baseball plays Bronson on Monday.
  • Varsity Baseball and Softball will play at home on Tuesday vs. Bronson. Golf will be at the Quincy Jamboree, and then in Hillsdale on Wednesday.
  • Thursday baseball and softball take on Columbia Central at home.
  • Saturday will be a round robin tourney at CHS for both baseball and softball!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concords boys and girls track team warming up before the meet
It's officially track season
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • April 11, 2024

It's officially track season! The season started off with a scrimmage on Monday at home. Concord High School’s track team faced Springport...

The Juniors posing in front of JCC
Junior College Tour Trip
Riley Aiken, Staff Writer • April 9, 2024

Concord has offered the Junior class an opportunity to take a day and walk around SAU and JCC. This trip gave students the first step to picking...

Robotic Competition: A Successful Challenge for 5205, CHS Full Metal Jackets
Lucy Otto, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

Concord’s robotics team CHS Full Metal Jackets had completely redesigned and fixed their robot for competition less than two  weeks after...

Book Review: The Woman They Could Not Silence

Lucy Otto

Being locked away, with promises of getting released, Elizabeth Packard seeks to speak the truth that the asylum walls hide. The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore is based on a true story about Elizabeth Packard, who lived during the 1860s. 

Packard was a strong feminist activist who fought asylum laws. Back then, women with voices were considered insane and were punished. In fact, asylums contained more women than men. Some women were put into an asylum by their husbands, which is what happened to Elizabeth. Her husband managed to convince a few men to sign a petition declaring Elizabeth’s insanity.

Throughout the story, Elizabeth meets many people, including new acquaintances, vile people who desire to keep her quiet, and troubled women within the asylum walls. Although she faces many challenges, she holds true to herself and her beliefs. She even goes out of her way to share her views with the trapped women within the asylum.

The woman of the hour; Elizabeth Packard! (Lucy Otto )

For students struggling to find an AP book to read, look no further. “ AP language is a biography, non-fiction memoir, or creative nonfiction,” Mrs.Couling our AP Lang teacher explains. “The Woman They Could Not Silence is considered an AP language selection.” 

If you are into reading about a strong feminist who fights for women’s rights, history empowered by a woman, or injustice being put in its place, then this book is right for you. If you want to see an interview with the author about the book, here is a link.