• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

Homecoming Football Game, 2023

Varsity Football faces Morenci for Homecoming
Connor Stevens
Concord players on defense during the game.

On Friday, the Yellowjackets hosted Morenci for Homecoming 2023! The wet, windy, and rainy conditions made it a hard night to play football, but the Yellowjackets came out on top with the final score being 52-14.

In the first quarter, the Yellowjackets struck first from senior Collin Thompson with a 35-yard punt return and put Concord on the board first. Shortly after, senior Levi Raymond scored a two-point conversion and ended the first quarter with a score of 8-0.

Moving into the second quarter, it was a 28-yard pass from sophomore Gavin Riske to senior Mekhi Wingfield that added 6 more points to the board. These two have each been breaking records all across the state for 8-man football as well as Concord High School records, one of them being 402 yards thrown against Gobles High School putting Gavin number 9th all-time in Eight-Man Football. Mekhi has also broken many records, including 202 career receptions, which is a state and school record. Following the touchdown from Mekhi, Collin Thompson scored a two-point conversion to bring the score to 22-0, Concord.

Heading into the third quarter, Thompson continued his excellent night with a 40-yard run and a touchdown.  Shortly after, sophomore Tylend Allen had a short run for a two-point conversion. Continuing on through the third quarter,  Levi Raymond scored a 1-yard touchdown for the Yellowjackets, along with Tylend Allen running the ball in for another two-point conversion. The last Yellowjacket touchdown of the night was a 62-yard pass from Gavin Riske to Mekhi Wingfield, who ran it in for a Concord touchdown. Gavin Riske scored the 2-point conversion right after.

Junior Jordan Medellin shared a goal the team has for the remainder of the season, stating, “Just win out and do what we can to make it to the playoffs and finish out strong and enjoy it with the Seniors”. Jordan thought his favorite part of last night was “winning the game, having fun, and being a part of it.”

Senior Carter Arbuckle, who has been improving this season says, “I am working on building myself up to become as strong as possible.” He also has a goal for the remainder of the season: “My goal is to be an all-conference lineman, but also to establish myself as a good leader and role model for younger kids”.

Congrats to the Yellowjackets on the Homecoming win! We wish them the best of luck for the remainder of the season. Be sure to come out and support them as they play at home again next Friday vs. Britton Deerfield.