• Quarter four has officially begun, don't get behind at the start.
  • TESTING WEEK! Keep a positive attitude and try your best! You've got this!
  • Today is Eclipse Day! Protect your eyes with eclipse glasses.
  • Good luck to all our track athletes today!
  • Boys JV baseball plays Bronson on Monday.
  • Varsity Baseball and Softball will play at home on Tuesday vs. Bronson. Golf will be at the Quincy Jamboree, and then in Hillsdale on Wednesday.
  • Thursday baseball and softball take on Columbia Central at home.
  • Saturday will be a round robin tourney at CHS for both baseball and softball!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Gwendolyn Bulko taking her mock interview
Senior Mock Interviews
Riley Aiken, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

The seniors are on the verge of graduating and challenging decisions about their future are approaching quickly. The seniors were given mock...

3rd Hour Class Clean up.
Mrs. Fiero's Environmental Cleanup
Rylee Sinden, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

Earth Day was on Monday, April 22nd. To celebrate, Mrs. Fiero took her third and fourth-hour Environmental Science classes to pick up trash in...

DeTori doing an example with Vincent Simpson and Aryonna Kehle.
A successful career day!
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

On Friday, April 19th, students at CHS had the opportunity to meet with guest speakers who discussed the different types of jobs they have. This...

2023 Sideline Cheer

Our+cheerleaders+bring+the+spirit+at+the+first+home+football+game.+
Lucy Otto
Our cheerleaders bring the spirit at the first home football game.

Sideline Cheer begins to own the crowd. Since Emma Sigman has been coaching this year, it’s been the largest group of cheerleaders so far. Their stance has been getting louder and louder, making the football games worth watching. 

Sigman shares thoughts on how the team has been holding up. She mentions how she has the most extensive team in her coaching career and how proud she is of her team this year.

She says, “I’m very happy with our team. I think the team gets together well; we have a good bond, which helps with overall morale. The girls are doing well, and I see their skills improving and excelling. I’m pretty excited to kick off a homecoming pep assembly performance.”

Sideline cheerleading also helps prepare for the competitive season. Sigman mentions how important it is to take sideline cheer seriously so it can help with competition. She adds, “I look at sideline season as conditioning for competitive season. It’s essential that the girls continue to work on their skills throughout the year, not just during the competitive season.” 

When asked, some people think cheer isn’t a sport; what is your take on that? Sigman replies, “Well, the Michigan High School Athletic Association and the Olympics both view cheerleading as a sport. The International Olympic Committee recognized cheer as a sport back in 2021, so there’s really no argument. The physical and mental load that competitive cheer brings on for a person is just as intense as football.”

Team Captain Lily McCabe explains how exciting and vital it is to be captain. She explains, “It is my job to show you… how a cheerleader should act and the proper ways to represent us. I like to be able to influence people, and I like to be able to help run things. Make sure things are happening how they must be done.”

Newcomers tend to shy away from cheer. When asked for advice for the new cheerleaders, McCabe adds, “Don’t be afraid. Everybody starts somewhere. If you can’t do something, we are willing to teach you. If you don’t think you can do something, it’s okay. You will learn how to do it. Be open to new experiences and get out of your comfort zone.” 

Joining sports helps students feel more comfortable and out there. Newcomer Jordyan Metcalf shares her thoughts on her first year. She says, “It’s going pretty good. I really like it. It’s enjoyable, and I love all the girls. I wanted to try something new because I was tired of doing the same thing repeatedly.”

She hopes the girls second-guessing themselves in joining cheerleading hear her and change their minds. Girls may think that cheerleading is challenging. She adds, “You only live once, so don’t be scared to try something new. Sideline is difficult sometimes, but it is worth it.”

Keep cheering on and spreading that team spirit! Go Jackets!