• Congratulations to the boys' basketball team for their Big Eight Championship. They play their first game of districts at home on Wednesday!
  • Girls' basketball plays on Tuesday at Springport, it is a big game for them, so come support! Their senior night is also this Thursday at home.
  • Good luck to Collin Thompson on Friday as he competes in the wrestling state championship at Ford Field!
The Student News Site of Concord High School

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Concord Chronicle

Downtown Albion, Michigan
Downtown Albion: The growth continues
Savanna Payne, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

About 15-20 minutes north-west of Concord is the charming city of Albion, Michigan. Albion originally became a village in 1855 but was named...

Photo from one of Pyper Norris trips. (Courtesy of Pyper Norris)
Spring break destinations and recommendations
Julia Stevens, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Spring break is coming up quickly, and to prepare many families are deciding where to travel. This can sometimes be difficult with all the amazing...

Are girls teams getting the same support as boys teams?
Are girls' teams getting the same support as boys' teams?
Jenell Alvarez, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024

The question of fairness between girls' and boys' sports is an ongoing issue. Title IX, enacted on June 23, 1972, is a US law that says no one...

2023 Sideline Cheer

Our+cheerleaders+bring+the+spirit+at+the+first+home+football+game.+
Lucy Otto
Our cheerleaders bring the spirit at the first home football game.

Sideline Cheer begins to own the crowd. Since Emma Sigman has been coaching this year, it’s been the largest group of cheerleaders so far. Their stance has been getting louder and louder, making the football games worth watching. 

Sigman shares thoughts on how the team has been holding up. She mentions how she has the most extensive team in her coaching career and how proud she is of her team this year.

She says, “I’m very happy with our team. I think the team gets together well; we have a good bond, which helps with overall morale. The girls are doing well, and I see their skills improving and excelling. I’m pretty excited to kick off a homecoming pep assembly performance.”

Sideline cheerleading also helps prepare for the competitive season. Sigman mentions how important it is to take sideline cheer seriously so it can help with competition. She adds, “I look at sideline season as conditioning for competitive season. It’s essential that the girls continue to work on their skills throughout the year, not just during the competitive season.” 

When asked, some people think cheer isn’t a sport; what is your take on that? Sigman replies, “Well, the Michigan High School Athletic Association and the Olympics both view cheerleading as a sport. The International Olympic Committee recognized cheer as a sport back in 2021, so there’s really no argument. The physical and mental load that competitive cheer brings on for a person is just as intense as football.”

Team Captain Lily McCabe explains how exciting and vital it is to be captain. She explains, “It is my job to show you… how a cheerleader should act and the proper ways to represent us. I like to be able to influence people, and I like to be able to help run things. Make sure things are happening how they must be done.”

Newcomers tend to shy away from cheer. When asked for advice for the new cheerleaders, McCabe adds, “Don’t be afraid. Everybody starts somewhere. If you can’t do something, we are willing to teach you. If you don’t think you can do something, it’s okay. You will learn how to do it. Be open to new experiences and get out of your comfort zone.” 

Joining sports helps students feel more comfortable and out there. Newcomer Jordyan Metcalf shares her thoughts on her first year. She says, “It’s going pretty good. I really like it. It’s enjoyable, and I love all the girls. I wanted to try something new because I was tired of doing the same thing repeatedly.”

She hopes the girls second-guessing themselves in joining cheerleading hear her and change their minds. Girls may think that cheerleading is challenging. She adds, “You only live once, so don’t be scared to try something new. Sideline is difficult sometimes, but it is worth it.”

Keep cheering on and spreading that team spirit! Go Jackets!