Let’s go Jackets!

Concord cheer hosts the first home meet of the year.

Riley Adams, Rylee Sinden, Staff Writers

“Hear Our Buzz, Fear Our Sting!” The Concord Varsity competitive cheerleaders shout to the crowd as they compete. The girls took first place yesterday, with a round-three score of 279.2 and a subtotal of 665.9. They beat their main competition this year for the second time: Jonesville. 

Their coach, Mrs. Sigman was thrilled to have the girls beat Jonesville once again. “Our home competition this year was the third competition of the four Big 8 Jamborees for this cheer season. Placing first at home felt awesome, but the best part of all was watching my cheerleaders find out that we placed first. Seeing the excitement and joy that they displayed and knowing that all their hard work is paying off was priceless,” she explains. “Last night our Lady Jackets performed with precision, punching their motions in rounds 1 & 2 and sticking their stunts in rounds 3. At every competition this season, I have watched my cheerleaders improve their overall scores and work towards their end goal of winning the Big 8 and going to Regionals.”

Senior Layla Hellard comments about the competition: “I think we did pretty good, it wasn’t our best, but we still won,” she explains. Layla also explains that she is confident in their standing in the Big 8. To be ready for the final Big 8 competition, she explains that they will “practice hard, drill every round, and condition.”

Senior Shianne Alejandro, who does the majority of the tumbling for our team explains, “I think we did pretty well, it could’ve been better, but we definitely left it all out on the mat.”  As they get better, Alejandro explains, they will improve their round two, and add more intense skills. 

Junior Savanna Alejandro, our team’s flyer shares that even though they did well on the meet their place didn’t feel locked in. She explains that she feels like they got lucky. Savanna believes that the team “needs to become stronger bases and eliminate all errors.” Despite this,  Alejandro says she is proud of the teamwork and dedication coming from the team.

Last night was also senior night. All six seniors were honored for their time, dedication, and commitment to the sport. 

Sigman wishes all the senior teammates the best of luck: “I’ve had the honor and greatest opportunity to coach most of these young ladies for the past two years. Throughout the multiple cheer seasons I had the honor to coach them I have watched them flourish. They are amazing athletes and teammates. Each day they bring determination and willingness to try new things to every practice. Every day they go above and beyond what is asked of them and always bring a fun, upbeat attitude to every event. I know all of you will move mountains in the future, and I wish you all the luck in the world as you move into the next chapter of your life. I will miss you all dearly, and I hope you always believe in yourselves as I believe in you.”

Next week is the competitive cheer teams’ last Big 8 competition! It will be held at Springport High School. They are hoping they bring back home the title of Big 8 Championship! Wish them good luck and come support the girls on Monday!