Blood Drive: Saving lives one donation at a time

Connor Haire, Staff Writer

On October 24, 2022, Concord High School NHS members organized a blood drive in the gymnasium and had a successful turnout. We had 22 participants donate blood, which can save as many as 66 lives. The event went well although the donation goal by the NHS was not met. NHS member Madison Coburn said that “the blood drive went very smoothly, and we consistently had people willing to donate. We were close to our goal, but next time I want to hit the 30-people mark.”

Although the goal wasn’t met, the NHS encourages more people to donate next time, as it is proven to have a number of benefits to both donors and the blood recipients. For those who would like to donate next time, it is easy to donate, as long as eligibility requirements are met. The next blood drive will be held on February 13, 2023. The total process typically takes around 30-45, starting off with a questionnaire. Once you have filled out the questionnaire, you then are ready to donate. The process is painless and is completely safe, and little to no symptoms are present during and after the donation. At the end of the donation, you are given a sheet of paper that contains your “Unit ID” which allows you to track where your blood has gone, as well as your blood type, and previous donations.

Make sure you sign up during our next blood drive, you could save several lives with just an hour of your time!