The Yellowjackets vs. Orioles

JV and Varsity volleyball face Quincy

Rylee Sinden, Staff Writer

The night was filled with aces, kills, and digs. The JV and Varsity teams faced Quincy in a heated match. The JV played tough and pulled through with a win. The Varsity game followed and won their first conference match of the season.

The JV started the night off with a win: 25-15, 25-16, 25-15. Leading the team was our setter, Lilie Vandenburgh, serving a perfect 22/22 with eight aces. She also added eight assists and five digs. Jaylyn Otto led the way for kills, adding five kills, along with three aces, two digs, and two assists. Freshman Marissa Mandrelle contributed four aces, four digs, and three kills. Bella Coppernoll served well, adding three aces to their score. She also had two kills and assists. Our strong outside hitter, Taylor Cole pulled through with four digs, three kills, and an ace. The rest of the girls played great defense, causing another win for the Yellowjackets. Their record is now 14-7-2. 

Freshman Marissa Mandrelle explains how the game went: “What I did well was my digs; I always dive for the ball. What my team did well was we all had great passes and we all had great hustle. We need to work on our communication and diving for the ball, and a shout to my setter Lilie; she has been doing a great job.” 

Freshman Jordyan Metcalf thinks there are just a few more things to improve on, and the team will be taken to the next level. Metcalf explains, “I think we did really well. We just need to talk more, and not get down on each other. I also think we need to get more hyped.” 

The Varsity also played great, which resulted in their first conference win of the season. “We started playing like a team,” Zoe Schultz said. They went four sets: 25-19, 25-19, 17-25, and 25-19. The team’s offense started taking risks, swinging and pushing corners on every ball. Iyla Weeks led the offense with twenty-two kills and two blocks. Senior Sam Kessman contributed seven kills, Emma Burbo added four, Autumn Cornell had three, and both Madi Barrett and Layla Hellard added one. Our all-around setter, Layla Hellard added thirty-three assists. Rylee Sinden had three assists. Burbo led the defense with fifteen digs, followed by Weeks who added seven digs. Cornell contributed six, Sinden and Schultz each had five, and Hellard and Kessman each added four digs. Burbo led the way with serves, serving 19/21 with four aces. Cornell, Hellard, and Barrett each had perfect serving records. 

Junior Madi Barrett shares, “I feel like we did very well throughout the game; although we had a few rough plays, we worked through it as a team and came out with the win.” Barrett expresses that the team has grown closer this year and is excited about the next game. 

Our setter, Senior Layla Hellard explains that “as the setter of the varsity team, I can really see how well both our offense and defense work together as one. We are a great team that loves to play.”

Everyone played well against Quincy. Come watch the girls play this Saturday in Morenci! Be there and be loud!