Concord: Changing my life

Honored to be voted Snowcoming King

Omarion Culliver, Staff Writer

As I sit back and reminisce about my school experiences,  I would like to thank the community of Concord for always being there for me and supporting me. I have been attending Concord community schools since the 6th grade, and over the years I have met tons of nice, caring, and loving people.

I will miss the crowd cheering during games as I go score the ball and the people cheering on beside  the side of the fence as I leap over a hurdle. I will also miss all of my coaches and the lesson they’ve taught me– not in just sports but in life. Their high expectations have taught me how to be a man. Coaches like Mike Jurasek, Max Clark, Marcus Gill, Jessie Buck, Bradley Hawkins and Dan Davis have played a huge role in my life; they believe in me even when I don’t believe in myself and always push me to my limits. I can tell that these coaches care about all of us and not just about our athletic abilities. 

One of my favorite high school memories happened in late May 2022 after a basketball game. We were freestyle rapping in the back of the bus, and Coach Gill walked to the back and started freestyle some wicked bars. His ability to be a mentor, a coach, and a fun human puts us all at ease but also requires our improvement in all aspects of our lives. 

I would like to thank the teachers of Concord, the heart of the Concord community. These teachers are some of the best teachers in the world; they know how to connect with students and  understand them. All of these teachers are willing to offer one on one help and won’t stop teaching until you understand. This is something I will miss. In college help won’t be as available as it is in high school. The teachers at Concord always know how to brighten my day whether it’s Mr.Reiniche yelling,” O…O…O Oreillys Auto Parts” at me when I walk past his class, or telling jokes with Mr.Jurasek or even just sitting down and talking to Mrs.Otto about life.

Waking up and not seeing my friends every weekday will be hard for me. I will miss laughing in class with my best buds and talking about whatever comes to mind. I know they say change is a good thing, but in this specific situation, it feels like it’s not. It’s going to be hard not hanging out with my friends everyday and living life without them. Everyday I look forward to making jokes with them, playing sports and sometimes just talking about life whenever I need to. The friends I have at Concord are not just friends; I would say they are like family to me. I have built so many memories here at Concord, but one of my favorites is in middle school in 8th grade at a dance  my friends and I gathered in a circle and started to have a dance battle. The moves that some of the kids busted out were slightly appalling but funny.

I would like to thank the community of Concord and all the teachers and coaches again for always being there for me and leading me down the right path, I truly feel like Concord is a second home. I will miss the the astonishing support of Concord and sight of smiling faces in the morning ready to get the day started. No matter what, I will never forget that I will be a Yellowjacket forever.