Track success continues vs. Homer/Springport

Khaleah+Wingfield+in+Wednesdays+long+jump+competition.+

Alonzo Hopkins

Khaleah Wingfield in Wednesday’s long jump competition.

Alonzo Hopkins, Staff Writer

The boys and girls varsity track team faced Springport and Homer on Wednesday. Our team did well, and many athletes placed first. For the boy’s track team,  Malachi Boyd got first place in both the 100 and 200-meter dashes. The 400 relays with Tyler Carpenter, Mekhi Wingfield, and Collin Thompson earned first; there was also the 800 relay with Malachi Boyd, Mark File, Tyler Carpenter, and Tyreke Brown also placing first. Mekhi Wingfield got first in high jump and long jump. Adair Artis placed first in the 400 and 800 runs, and got first in the 3200 relays with Joseph Bulko, Isaac Waldron, and Jon Mikovits. Also, Artis, Waldron, and Connor Keefer had won in the 1600 relay as well as Mikovits who had also won the 1600 run. For the high hurdles, we have Omarion Culliver who placed first.

Malachi Boyd commented on running his first one hundred meter dash, saying“[This event] was new to me. It was my first time running the one hundred in such a long time, so I was really focused on getting out the fastest. I didn’t do as well as I wanted to out the back, but luckily I have a finish type of speed to carry myself through and get to the competition. For my first time back, it was not that bad. I think I was a lot faster because I was very explosive and attacking.”

For the girls, Rylee Weeks took first place on the 3200 relay team with her teammates Caitlin Wright, Paige Morris, and Riley Adams. Rylee Weeks, Savannah Smith, Savannah Payne, and Paige Morris defeated Springport in the 1600-meter relay race. Riley Adams ran her fastest time ever in the 1600-meter run as well as placed second in the 3200-meter run. Also Paige Moris set a PR in 300 meter Hurdle.

Rylee Weeks is one of the key runners in track, and she expressed just how much track means to her. “Track is really important to me because running has been a part of my life for a while. My family runs all the time so I just want to stick with it and do the best that I can.”

Another track meet, the Stockbridge Invitational is happening today at Stockbridge High School at 3:00 pm.  We wish all our track athletes continued success.