Baseball Season Preview

Savanna Gamet, Staff Writer

Baseball season has started up and the teams are practicing hard even with the unpleasant weather we have been having. Our varsity team had a spectacular season last year making it to the playoffs. With the team’s growth, we are expected to have an even better season. Some top returning players are: Tyler Carpenter, Lewis Fritz, Levi Raymond, Carter Arbuckle, Logan Lamb, Owen Kidder, Isaac Waldron, and Timar Spratley.

We also have a nice group of coaches this season including: Coach Clark, Norm Kidder, Easton Maus, and Edwin Maus. Coach Clark explains that “the Big 8 conference is very tough. Homer is always our biggest rival. We expect to compete for a Big 8 championship and plan on winning a district championship. Our goal is to compete for a State Championship in Division 4. Our defense will be solid. The top half of our batting order has a lot of experience, so they will need to hit well for us to be successful. Our inexperienced guys have to continue to grow and get better so they can contribute in a meaningful way during the state tournament.

Coach also believes that there are players with outstanding talent this season such as: Mark File, Malachi Warner, Anthony Evans, Dustin Hamilton, and Jordan Medellin.

Season returning Junior player Lewis Fritz states, “This season is all about being a team and making sure that we stick together. We need to tighten up our defense and swing our bats if we want to go far, we have the skill but we gotta be focused.”

Concord Varsity had their first split game with East Jackson on April 5th. In the first game the team took victory 8-3, and in-game 2, it was a close loss of 7-6.  Overall, the team held on strong and is already to a great start to the season. The team’s second game on April 7th was canceled at Marshall High School. Cheer loud, bundle up, and join them at Reading High School, Tuesday 04/12 at 4:15 pm.