Student spotlight: Gwen Bulko

Rylee Sinden

Sophomore Gwen Bulko claims our spotlight.

Rylee Sinden, staff writer

This week, our student spotlight shines on Gwen Bulko. Gwen is an outstanding sophomore here at Concord. She joined our Concord family when she was in fourth grade after being homeschooled for the first part of her life. She lights up every room she walks into and makes school more enjoyable for many people. Bulko is an amazing person that everyone should get to know. 

In and out of school, she is just an outstanding person. Her favorite class during first semester was Mrs. O’s English class. Mrs. O says “Gwen is an amazing person and student! She is always pushing herself to do her best and to go above and beyond in everything she does. She is kind and thoughtful and always open to exploring new things and ideas. I can’t wait to see what she accomplishes in the next few years and beyond!”

Gwen is an overachiever and also takes many honors classes. Mr. Buck, who teaches Gwen’s Honors Algebra says, “Gwen as a student stands tall among her peers. She is extremely hard working and is never behind in her work!” During the new semester, Gwen is looking forward to taking 3d art because she really enjoys working with clay and making her own creations. In semester two, she gets the chance to take two art classes, 3d art, and computer-assisted art. This is great for her because she really enjoys art and this will give her a break from the harder classes. 

Every high schooler has to decide what they want to do in the future. Whether that is to go to college, trade school, or just go straight into work. Gwen has already started thinking about her future plans. She says “Ideally, I want to go to U of M and study psychology. I don’t know what I want to do with that degree yet.” Even though Gwen hasn’t completely decided what she wants to do yet, we know she will go on to do great things. 

Gwen is also busy outside of school. In her free time, she likes to rollerblade, ice skate, skateboard, watch movies, listen to music, and write poetry. Family is also very important to Gwen. One of the ways she bonds with her family is by playing cards with them. Like I said before, she watches a lot of movies in her free time. Her favorite movie is “any of the Harry Potter movies.” She adds “P.S. Crazy Rich Asians is a phenomenal movie.” Reading is also one of her favorite pastimes. Her favorite book is “The Glass Castle” by Jennet Walls. Listening to music is always a good way to just relax. “I mostly listen to indie rock and also listen to older music,” Bulko adds. 

Gwen is also a crucial part of our cross country team. Her teammate, Haylee Rinehart says, “she is probably the most spontaneous and exciting person you could be around.” She also really enjoys photography and explains that if there was some kind of photography class or club, I would definitely join. 

When asked “What is something you want to do in your life?” She responded, “I want to travel to as many places as I can.”

Many people here at Concord just love Gwen. Her friend and classmate, Mykala Drew adds, “Gwen is the most personable, driven, and hardworking person I’ve ever met and I know that she will do great things in her life.”

Many people love our small community of Concord. When asked, “what is your favorite part about Concord?” Gwen responded “The teachers are really nice and welcoming. They create a very warm environment. Also, since it is a small school, it feels like it’s a family. All the students are really close.” Our Concord family is small, but great. If you don’t already know Gwen, get to know her. It is a chance to have another friend here at Concord.